Best Techniques to Utilize Internal & External Links
SEO is a key factor in any successful website popularity and success in today’s competitive market. This is why it is important to craft your website so that it can be attractive not only to your targeted audience but to search engine crawlers as well. One way to make sure that this happens is using internal and external links effectively on your website. A well-crafted internal link structure and reliable external links are the stepping stones to a successful organic search engine ranking. Therefore, it is essential to know the best techniques to use internal & external links for SEO.
What Are Internal & External Links?
Before discussing strategies to use both types of links, it is important to understand what internal and external links are and how do they differ from one another. Internal links refer to the links that connect different pages of the same website together. These can be from the same domain or from different domains in a multi-site environment. Whereas, external links refer to the links that connect the pages of two different websites together.
Why Are Internal & External Links Important For SEO?
Internal and External links play an important role in SEO and should be a part of your website’s link-building strategy. Internal links make your website more navigable by passing link juice (the ability of page A to pass its ranking to page B) to the pages they link to and make them easier to crawl. This helps search engine crawlers quickly scan your website and determine its relevancy.
External links help to build authority as they pass link juice to your website from other websites. This can help to improve your website’s popularity, search engine ranking, and visibility. However, it is important to only use links to quality, relevant sites and not just random sites.
Best Techniques To Utilize Internal and External Links For SEO
To make the most from internal and external links, here are some of the best techniques to utilize them:
- Make sure to only link to relevant pages – Make sure that the pages you link to are related to the topic of the parent page. If a user clicks on a link, it should take them to a page that provides information related to the link and not something completely unrelated.
- Choose the anchor text wisely – Anchor text is the clickable text of the link. It is important to choose the anchor text carefully as it helps search engine crawlers identify what the page is about. Relevant keywords should be used in the anchor text while being succinct.
- Include descriptive link phrases – Keep the link phrases descriptive so that users will be able to understand easily what content is going to be available when they click on the link.
- Make sure to create logical link structures – Poor link structures can lead to a poor user experience and can be difficult for search engine crawlers to navigate. Therefore, it is important to create a logical internal link structure that passes link juice from one page to the other.
- Link to deep pages within your website – Most of the websites often link to the home page of their website. While this is okay, it’s also important to link to deeper pages within your website.
- Limit the number of links on a page – Too many links on a page can result in link clutter. It can make it difficult for the search engine bots to crawl your website. Therefore, it is important to limit the number of links on each page.
- Link to relevant and high-authority websites – When creating external links, only link to relevant, high-authority websites. Poor quality external links can have a negative impact on your website’s ranking.
- Tools to help identify high-authority websites are – There are a number of tools available which can help to identify high-authority websites which can become potential external link sources. These include Moz’s Domain Authority (DA) score, Majestic’s Trust Flow (TF) score and Ahrefs’ Domain Rating (DR).
- Make sure to use good link phrases – Just like with internal linking, disable link phrases should be descriptive and should provide users with a brief idea of what content they can expect when they click on the link.
- Do not overdo external links – While external links can be beneficial, it is important to not overdo it as too many external links can draw search engine crawlers away from your own website.
- Keep track of your external links – Once you have created external links, it is important to keep track of them to make sure that they are still live. dead links can harm your website’s ranking. Using link checking tools such as Moz’s Link Explorer, can help achieve this.
Optimizing your website’s internal and external links is a great way to improve its organic search engine ranking and visibility. By following the best techniques to use them, you can ensure that your website is attractive to both your targeted audience as well as search engine crawlers.
Internal links make it easier for search engine crawlers to index your website while external links help pass link juice to your website from other authoritative websites. However, it is important to only use link to relevant high-authority websites and ensure that link phrases are descriptive. It is also important to create a logical link structure and limit the number of links on a page and to keep track of the external links.
These effective link-building strategies can help boost your website’s overall ranking and enhance its visibility in the search engine result pages.