Use Site Audits to Measure and Monitor SEO Performance
Search engine optimization (SEO) is critical for any digital business desiring sustained success and increased exposure. To measure and monitor SEO performance, digital marketers and businesses must invest in site audits. Site audits measure various elements of a website’s SEO performance, providing businesses with tangible data to make educated decisions on optimization. This article explores how businesses can use site audits to measure and monitor SEO performance.
Understanding Site Audits
A site audit is a comprehensive analysis and evaluation of a website’s performance to determine how it measures up to industry standards and competitor offerings. During a site audit, webpages, URLs, and various features of a website are scrutinized. Site audits involve various elements including the following:
- performance evaluation
- page speed analysis
- user experience assessment
- technical SEO analysis
- content analysis
- structural analysis
Once a website has been fully audited, the digital team monitors and measures the results to inform potential adjustments and improvements.
Advantages of Site Audits
The primary advantage of site audits is that they inform businesses of potential areas that may need improvement, such as page speed, links, on-page optimization, and content optimization.
Though businesses may not be able to adjust or optimize everything listed in the site audit immediately, they can identify needed improvements and adjust their strategies to ensure that these elements get addressed over time.
Site audits also help businesses remain competitive against competitors by providing a comprehensive evaluation of their website against industry best practices.
Choosing The Right Site Audit Tools
Businesses can use various tools to measure and monitor SEO performance through site audits. Here are a few of the most popular and effective audit tools:
- Moz’s Site Crawler Tool: Moz’s Site Crawler Tool is a comprehensive SEO health checker. It crawls websites to identify SEO issues and offers recommendations on how to address them.
- SEMrush Site Audit: SEMrush Site Audit is a powerful SEO audit tool that allows businesses to scan their websites and receive detailed reports on potential areas for optimization.
- Ahrefs Site Audit Tool: Ahrefs Site Audit Tool allows businesses to conduct in-depth and comprehensive audits of their websites. It offers recommendations on how to fix slow pages, duplicate content, meta errors and more.
- Screaming Frog: Screaming Frog is a powerful SEO Spider Tool that crawls websites to identify and report issues. It is best suited for technical SEO auditing.
- Google PageSpeed Insights: Google PageSpeed Insights allows businesses to assess the performance of their website on both desktop and mobile devices. This popular SEO audit tool provides businesses with recommendations on how to improve user experience and page loading times.
How to Monitor SEO Performance Post-Audit
Once an SEO audit is complete, businesses must monitor changes to their website to ensure that changes made are having the desired impact.
Businesses should regularly check for changes on their search engine rankings. They should also monitor other SEO metrics such as organic traffic, website loading time, and user experience.
Businesses should also set up regular alerts to track changes in rankings and monitor their competitors.
Measuring SEO Performance
Businesses must measure SEO performance over time to get the most out of their optimization efforts. To measure SEO performance, businesses use metrics such as organic traffic, organic keyword searches, organic lead generation, organic downloads, and organic conversions. These metrics can help a business identify areas of strengths and weaknesses, as well as measure the effectiveness of any changes they have made.
Businesses can also measure SEO performance using industry reports, surveys, and competitive analysis. Industry reports provide a helpful overview of trends and best practices, while surveys and competitive analysis help businesses to assess their performance against their competitors.
Site audits provide businesses with a systematic and comprehensive way of measuring and monitoring SEO performance. Such audits provide businesses with tangible data to inform potential adjustments and improvements that can affect increases in rankings and lead generation. The right audit tools coupled with ongoing monitoring and measurement of SEO performance can make all the difference in a business’s online success.